Patrick has been talking about California burritos for months. An extra large pillowy tortilla packed with cheese, carnitas, avocado, french fries, sour cream, and hot sauce. Yes please. These fries are what makes the whole burrito. Soaked and double fried then tossed in a spicy seasoning. Traditionally beef carnitas are not left to marinate, they are simply seasoned then grilled. I wanted the meat to be packed with flavor so I marinated the steak in my favorite red enchilada sauce. The meat comes out so spicy and juicy. Just make sure the steak is cut very thin. I used chipotle tabasco sauce to smother my burrito in, but your favorite hot sauce will do the trick!
On a quick side note, my best friend’s mother and grandmother opened a luxury hot and cold therapy line and are competing for a grant to help grow their business. Please take the time to read their story and vote for their business!
Click here to read their story and vote!
These chips were so easy to make! I just sliced up some corn tortillas and fried them in canola oil then liberally salted. Although these are not exactly the same burritos you can find in Cali they are still delicious and filled with flavor. Feel free to change up any ingredient just don’t forget the fries!
- XL flour tortillas
- cheddar cheese room temp
- 2 avocados smashed with salt and pepper
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 1 can red enchilada sauce
- 1 tsbp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 large russet potatoes sliced into wedges or sticks
- canola oil for frying
- Marinate the steak in the enchilada sauce for at least one hour
- Heat and pan over medium high heat and add the steak
- Sear on both sides
- Remove steak from pan and let cool slightly
- Slice very thinly then add back to the pan
- Season with paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper
- Heat canola oil to 350 degrees
- Add potatoes and cook for 20 minutes or until golden brown
- Drain on paper towel and salt liberally
- Heat tortillas in a pan until warmed throughout
- Add cheese, then fries, carnitas, sour cream and avocado
- Top with hot sauce and wrap