You may have noticed the trend in fried chicken on my blog. For some reason I always try and find the next bigger better fried chicken. (fun fact I also do this with chocolate chip cookies) This sandwich might be the one though. So much flavor and easy to adjust to your personal heat levels. The harissa spices bring a really nice warmth to the breading without being to spicy or salty. I picked up my harissa seasoning from World Market. I prefer the dry mix because you can add olive oil to the spices to make a paste or leave it dry.
The secret to exceptionally juicy fried chicken is using chicken thighs. I like to soak them in buttermilk before dipping them into the egg batter. They are almost melt in your mouth tender with a perfect crunchy crust. The real star of the show is the honey harissa mayo spread. It brings a really nice sweet heat that pairs well with some tangy dill pickles.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 cup of milk or buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of AP flour
- 1 cup of panko crumbs
- 2 tbsp of harissa spice
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- potato buns
- dill pickles
- 1/2 cup of mayo
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 tsp of harissa spice
- oil for frying
- soak the chicken thighs in the milk while preparing the oil
- In a deep frying pan heat oil to 350 degrees. (I used canola oil)
- Prepare two bowls- one with the eggs beaten and the second with the flour, panko, garlic and harissa
- Dip the chicken into the egg then into the flour mix
- Season with salt and pepper
- Fry in the oil until up to temperature. I usually cook to 160 degrees then let rest until 165
- While the chicken is resting mix the mayo, remaining harissa spice and honey.
- Toast the buns lightly and spread with the mayo.
- Add the pickles and chicken then top with lettuce and tomato.
You can definitely add more or less of the harissa before frying. I usually love my food extra spicy, but these are just perfect with a tiny pinch of heat. Don’t forget the potato buns! They are so soft and just soak up all the juices from the chicken.
I hope you enjoy!